April 15, 2013

Appraised | Shiseido Gentle Sun Protection Lotion SPF 33

So at this point I would be beating a dead horse if I said ‘spring is here’.
Spring is such a tease it’s almost annoying now.
That’s Canadian weather eh’.

Any-hoo, in my preparations for spring I finally purchased a sunscreen.
I went with Shiseido`s Gentle Sunscreen because it said... gentle. I didn't want to complicate my life and with all the skin issues I've had so far I wanted to play it safe.
Truthfully, I didn't do a lot of research on the different sunscreens available. I just wanted something gentle.




Now I will preface this review by saying that I’m the worst at applying sunscreen. I have always hated the feeling and never saw what the big deal was. For the longest time I cringed at spending more than $10 CAD. That is until this year when I started taking care of my skin I realized that because I had acne and have acne scars I need to diligently protect my skin.

I can literally sense my BF rolling his eyes and yes I will admit, I am the biggest hypocrite when it comes to sunscreen. If you asked him, he would say I harp on about it constantly and chastise him but I never apply any. He has wonderful fair skin with freckles. I love freckles! I call his, ‘poka-dots’. I hope you understand this is an affectionate term… and I have attempted to connect the dots on his arms but there were too many. They overlapped which made it mission impossible. Plus, he didn't appreciate the pen marks.

I haven`t tried Shiseido`s other sunscreens but this is by far the runniest sunscreen I have encountered. Although it isn't thick it does come equipped with a metal ball to help keep things from getting clumpy. So shake it well before use.



This sunscreen doesn't` take hours to rub in but it does have a slight white hue. Like any sunscreen I recommend taking special care when blending. 

 It does have a very faint smell. Not like normal sunscreens but almost like powdery paint... That probably makes absolutely no sense. I pride myself on how I describe things. :P 
Now let me clarify, the paint smell is very soft you would need a sensitive nose to notice it and goes away almost instantly. I think other people might describe it as a sharp sweet note but hey I`m no expert.


 Once blended the sunscreen doesn't have the extremely offensive white hue most sunscreens have. It leaves a velvety finish on my dry skin. I usually wear a heavy moisturizer underneath but I can see this drying matte if you have dry skin or don`t moisturize. It did feel a little tacky on my hands but it wasn't horrible. I don't think this is a water proof sunscreen but I could be wrong.


I find that sunscreens are difficult to choose and  I would strongly recommend getting a sample before investing. Previously I had only purchased drugstore sunscreens which I found were too oily and heavy for my skin. This is the first department store sunscreen I have tried. I might be a little starry eyed but I like it. The longest I have used sunscreen is about 4 days... so if I continue to use this that means I've been converted. I recommend this for all my fellow sunscreen haters because it’s very light and my skin feels like it can breathe. 

 The next sunscreen I would like to try is the Chanel UV Essentiel Protective UV Care Anti Pollution SPF 50.

Which sunscreens have you tried? Which one is your fav? More importantly, which one did you hate?

4 comments:

  1. Saying hi from the aloha hop- i like the bottle! I'm a big fan of neutrogena or alba products personally...but I'm always on the lookout for more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried any Alba products! I will have to go shopping soon.

      Delete
  2. I have never heard of this but I definitely hate sun screen and only apply it when it is mandatory which is usually after I get sunburnt. Haha I'll have to check into this though!

    ReplyDelete

Hey Pretty Bee! Thank you for taking the time to comment. I will try to get back to YOU ASAP! I will on occasion leave a heart () as a reply… meaning I read your comment